Texas Utility Help Program

Need help paying your utility bills?

Texas Utility Help is here for you.

Texas Utility Help can give financial assistance to qualified Texas homeowners and renters with low income. Eligible expenses include electricity, gas, propane, water, and wastewater.

Call 2-1-1 for information on available local utility assistance.

About the Texas Utility Help Program

About the Texas Utility Help Program

Homeowners and renters can use this website to create an account and apply for assistance.

Texas Utility Help is administered by the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs (TDHCA) with funding from the federal Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) and federal Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP). The program provides eligible households with financial payments made directly to the utility company on the household’s behalf.

Texas homeowners and renters need to meet the following criteria to qualify for the program:

Household income must be at or below 150% of Federal Poverty Income Guidelines (FPIG).
At least one occupant in the household must be a U.S. citizen or qualified alien.
For water and wastewater assistance, those who have been disconnected or are at risk of having their service disconnected are prioritized.

Application Process – What to Expect

  1. Applications must be submitted through the online portal. For technical support with the application, contact our Call Center at 1-877-541-7905.
  2. Applications are reviewed to determine whether the household qualifies for program assistance. Check the status of your application here.
  3. Once an application is approved, payment is sent directly to the utility company (electricity, gas, propane, water and/or wastewater provider). Utilities must sign an agreement with the program in order to receive payments.

Examples of Required Documents

  • Identification card
  • Proof of citizenship or legal residency
  • Most recent utility bill (electricity, gas, propane, water, and/or wastewater bill)
  • Income documentation such as award letters or paystubs for each member of your household
  • Documentation showing the utility is disconnected, under threat of disconnect, past due or is a current bill

To Report Fraud, Waste, and Abuse

All TDHCA employees and contractor employees have a responsibility to report waste, fraud and abuse within the agency. The public is also invited to share such concerns.

If you suspect fraud, waste or abuse please follow TDHCA’s guidelines for reporting.